World War One Audit of Surviving Remains (28 June 2013)
Date 28 June 2013
Event ID 961847
Category Descriptive Accounts
Type Summary Record
The elaborate symmetrically-fronted baronial drill hall, with cone-roofed drum-towers was built around 1892. The hall lies behind. In 1914 it was drill station for "B" Squadron, Fife & Forfar yeomanry , HQ of and base for "A" Company, 7th battalion Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders, and base for No 2 Company Highland Divisional Transport and Supply Column.
The drill hall, later used as a leisure centre, is now derelict.
Information from HS/RCAHMS World War One Audit Project (GJB) 28 June 2013.
Images from our Urban Detectives
Argyle and Sutherland Highlanders Headquarters - 4th Volunteer Battalion