Girvan, Dalrymple Street, Mckechnie Institute And Reading Rooms
The McKechnie Institute opened in 1889 thanks to the benevolence of a local businessman, Thomas McKechnie. Its architectural style is Scottish Baronial with some Renaissance detailing. The Architects of the Institute were McKissack & Rowan of Glasgow, who were also responsible for the design of Girvan Parish Church. The ground floor originally contained a Library, Reading Room and Ladies Room. On the first floor was a billiards room and beyond that the Librarians House.