The old building opened in 1898, made of sandstone and glass window panes. The tower on the right used to be an old observatory for star gazing. The seniors also wrote the school magazine in the tower. A lightning conductor goes down the tower so if it got struck by lightning, the lightning would be earthed. The flag pole on the top is where they used to hang the flag. There are great views from the top of the tower. This photo was taken by Chloe Morfitt, S1 pupil at Kilmarnock Academy 2017.