This battery is situated SE of Lerwick, immediately W of Peerie Geo, at the end of the Knab Road. One gun emplacement and magazine remain. The second gun emplacement has been replaced by the turning circle at the end of the Knab Road. The battery formed part of the Coast Defences of Lerwick.
J Guy 1995; NMRS Ms 810/4, 164-5, 167
The one remaining gun-emplacement of the coast battery survives on the E side of Kanb Road about 37m NE of the turning circle.
The emplacement is circular and built of concrete with a low parapet wall surrounding the circular gun platform. The magazine (HU 47966 40505) is shown on the current OS 1:2500 scale digital map.
The battery is visible on vertical air photographs (106G/Scot/UK 97, 4047-4048, flown 18 May 1946), which show the two gun-emplacements, magazine and hut bases.
Visited by RCAHMS (DE, AL), October 1998
Images from our Urban Detectives
Scotland's Urban Past training volunteer from Shetland Archaeology on how to plane table survey. Lerwick defences.